Excerpts for WordPress Pages

WordPress lets you create excerpts for Posts, but not for Pages. Generally, that makes good sense. If you need excerpts for pages, though, it’s pretty simple to add.

function my_init() {
  add_post_type_support('page', array('excerpt'));
}
add_action('init', 'my_init');

That’s all there is to it. Works with WordPress 3.0+.

Update 2010-10-01: Hey, look, I made it into a plugin.

15 Responses to Excerpts for WordPress Pages

1. Sebastian says:

Hi and thanks for this super tip.

Which .php file do I have to modify with this code?

2. Themenmixer says:

Great tipp. I’ll need this for my next project. Thx 4 sharing.

3. Pingback: Page Excerpts Plugin für WordPress

4. Pingback: Page Excerpts Plugin für WordPress

5. Pingback: Page Excerpts Plugin für WordPress

6. Hallvard Nilsen says:

Hi!

I am using the widget, showing excerpt from pages in a sidebar. Works great, but I really want a “read more” after the text excerpt. Is this possible?

Hallvard.

7. Ruth Maude says:

After upgrading to WP3.1 I couldn’t find the excerpt field in the page and I thought the plugin was broken. It is fine … you just have to click on screen options – top right of your page and then tick the box for excerpt.

Hope this helps someone else find the solution.

8. This is a site under development. I’m using the plug-in in 3.1.1 (first column). I agree with poster above about needing to have a read more link. ALSO, when I choose to have no title display with in the widget, I have a huge gap where the title would go. Is there a way to eliminate that gap? Thanks.

9. Mike says:

The plugin doesnt appear to work with WP 3.2.1 – i’ve installed and activated yet see no area new to add excerpt content. Have cleared my cache, logged out + back in again and checked the “screen options” dropdown menu for clues but nothing helps.

10. Lauren says:

11. faltumsg says:

Here is another great way to get post and page excerpts on your wordpress site http://addall.in/reference/get-the-page-excerpt-wordpress

12. Quang says:

@Ruth Maude: You are right. Just need to tick on Excerpt on the Screen Options.

13. hlynnt says:

I would like to choose a set amount of words rather than charactors so that the cut-off doesn’t chop a word in the middle. Is there a way to do this?

14. denny says:

Love your plugin. I have a plugin that hasn’t allowed the excerpt to show on a merge page – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/all-in-one-event-calendar/

I use the excerpt for a slider that shows all my post and pages. Calendar program works great with the slider but I can not display any text because the page has no excerpt.

My question is – is there a way to force a excerpt to show?